For, almost 250 years, the United States of America, and most Americans, have been proud of our government, political elections and systems, and our representing democracy, and democratic principles, and freedoms, throughout the world! However, many of us (including, me), are concerned, this may be threatened, and the survival of our system of government, and its Constitutional guarantees, freedoms, and rights, are, potentially, at – risk! We must consider, whether the events, of the last few years, will be the new – normal, or, merely, an aberration! If it is the former, we still must ensure, it doesn’t happen again, but, if the latter, we must recognize the risk, to what, many of us, believe (and hope), this nation stands – for, and represents! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 significant, concerning, challenges, to the American way (especially, from a political perspective).
1. Too partisan – No attempt to seek common ground: Perhaps, there is little, more concerning, and, potentially, more disturbing/ dangerous, than the extreme – partisan manner, our elected officials, supposedly, perform their duties! Wouldn’t it be better, if these individuals, sought, a meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good, rather than serving their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest? Haven’t you noticed, how little, of – consequence, occurs (is done), by these politicians? When will they, magically, be transformed, to statesmen?
2. Unrealistically, idealistic, when we need pragmatic idealism: It’s great to seek better, especially, in areas, where we need significant changes/ upgrades, etc, but, when one, proceed, in an idealistic manner (without considering the realities), unfortunately, far – too – little, gets achieved! The relevant, sustainable, meaningful, survival of this nation, in a recognizable way, requires, a greater emphasis on using, pragmatic idealism, which is. realizing, the only way, to make things, better, is to consider, how, and what, needs to be done, to get, the possibility of, a meaningful, meeting – of – the – minds!
3. Blind faith/ hero – worship: It’s up to each of us, to, instead of proceeding, with, mere, blind faith, and hero – worship, they recognized, elected officials, are, merely, human, with all the weaknesses/ flaws, we each have! Just because, someone holds some office, doesn’t mean, he’s the ideal individual, for the position!
4. Systemic racism: This nation and its Bill of Rights, demands, equal protection of the law, without discrimination, based on certain, so – called, protected classes, etc! The number of hate crimes, and, apparent actions, by some police, and our court system, etc, makes many, concerned about the dangers of systemic racism!
5. No sane gun safety controls/ regulations/ laws: The United States, consistently, experiences, the most gun – related, injuries and deaths, of any major nations, on this planet! Those, who claim, guns don’t kill, but, people do, seem to purposely, overlook, the reality, is, far – too – often, people with guns, are responsible! How many more, must be killed, because, it seems, far – too many, elected officials, are controlled by the interests of gun manufacturers, etc?
Wake up, America, and pay closer attention, to these challenges, to the system, so many Americans, expect, and desire! Will you demand better, and become, a more – responsible, American?