If you are, like many other Americans, you have probably been, somewhat, concerned, about the level of polarization, we witness today! It seems, never before, in recent memory, has there been, so much distrust, partisanship, etc, as there is, today! Instead of bringing people, together, for the greater good, President Donald Trump, is considered, by many, as the Great Divider! The combination of his rhetoric/ vitriol, false, and/ or, misleading statements (Political fact – checkers state, his rate of making these types of remarks, is, unheard – of), and, his apparent desire to motivate, and inspire his core supporters, without seeming to care, deeply, about others, creates this significant – divide! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 factors, which have added – to, this polarizing atmosphere.
1. Prejudice/ bias/ feeling oppressed: When, the Federal Government, seems to support, aggressive Police behavior, especially, when it, involves, the unfortunate number of deaths, and injuries, to minority individuals! The current, Black Lives Matters, movement, came about, after several individuals, especially, African – Americans, were, either seriously, injured, or died, after apparent abuse of power, etc, by a few, Police Officers! Is there anyone, who can, actually, believe, there is no reason, to feel oppressed, etc, and, if you, were in their place, you wouldn’t feel similarly?
2. Systemic racism: Whether, it involves, housing, education, employment opportunities, job creation, quality of jobs, crime/ safety, equal treatment by Police, and, the Courts, etc, we often, witness, a concerning pattern of systemic racism, in many areas, of American life!
3. Self – interest, instead of the greater/ common good: Too often, we witness, more self – interest, than equal justice, rights, and enjoyment, by – all! Why does it seem, so few, public officials, put public policy/ needs, ahead of their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest? Why, even during this horrific pandemic, do we fail to see, these politicians, do the right thing, and provide the necessary aid, etc, so many impacted people, are experiencing?
4. Economy/ jobs/ wages: When President Trump, seems to equate, the quality and performance of the economy, with how the Stock Market performs, most middle – class Americans, are, at – best, under – served! While, prior to the pandemic, we had a lower unemployment rate, the wages, and quality of many of these positions, favored the wealthiest Americans, and largest corporations, over, the greater good!
5. Courts: Statistics, clearly, indicate, minorities, especially, people – of – color, are stopped, detained, and charged, by Police, at a significantly greater rate, than their White counterparts! The punishments, given, for similar crimes, etc, are, statistically, far more severe, and greater, to minorities, than others!
We need, a nation, where life, liberty, and the pursuit – of – justice, and equal rights, and treatment, are necessities! Wake up, America, and demand better!