Why do so many Americans, seem to, equate their opinions, wishes, or desires, with real facts? If you are like many others, by now, you may be, sick – and – tired, of constantly, listening to so many people, who express their opinion, and/ or, that of some politicians, or members of the media, as being, the truth! One might believe, he can change someone’s minds, by showing them, the reality, but, unfortunately, in most cases, many seem to refuse to consider, anything, which doesn’t directly, align, with reality! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 political myths/ lies, and attempt to, dispute, and/ or, debunk, them.
1. Trump won/ Stop The Steal/ January 6th wasn’t a threat!: Although, the reality of the 2020 Presidential election, was, Trump lost the election, by over 7 million popular votes, and by a significant amount, in the Electoral College, and, after the former President’s over – 60 legal challenges, and many recounts, instead of demonstrating, the election, was stolen, clearly indicated, it was as fair, as probably, possible, he, and his core supporters, continued claiming, it was stolen! Then, after the storming of the Capitol, on January 6th, where, many videos, clearly, showed, a clear, danger, from the insurrectionists, chanting threats, they resorted to attempt to use, revisionist – history, to, minimize the events, even refusing, to agree to, a bipartisan commission, to investigate, and, hopefully, prevent this, from occurring, again! Doesn’t it, seem strange, this behavior, and perspective, still exists, over 7 months, after the election, despite the clear – cut, evidence/ proof, and, so many, continue to cling – to, these distorted beliefs?
2. Voting Rights battle: For a nation, which states, proudly, we have the fairest system, related to voting rights, etc, doesn’t it seem, contrary, to the refusal, of many public officials (nearly, every, elected Republican), to speak – out, against the clear – cut attempts, made, by several states, to make it more difficult for some, to vote? The recent, refusal, by the Senate, to consider, clear legislation, to address and consider, these attempts, by using the filibuster, is, little – more, than a strategy, to make it more difficult, for those, more likely, to vote for Democrats, to be able to!
3. Gun safety controls/ Common sense: Since, we register cars, and require drivers licenses, doesn’t it make sense, to do, so, at the very – least, regarding gun ownership, etc? Why would anyone, need, an assault weapon? Shouldn’t one, who wants to own a gun, be required, to pass, a background check, and demonstrate, he has the proficiency/ skills, to handle one, safely? Some, rather, try to wrap – themselves, up, in what they claim, to be the 2nd Amendment, focusing, on the part, which, states, The right to bear arms, although, they fail to, mention, it referred to state’s rights, to protect themselves, against foreign threats, by having a militia! Isn’t it about time, we used common sense? How many more must die, before we do something?
4. Infrastructure issues: More than a dozen nations, have a far – better, infrastructure (fewer issues, and challenges), than, ours! Many parts of this nation, have deteriorating, roads, bridges, and tunnels, especially, in some of the older, larger cities! We must address, both, the conventional, challenges, as well as relevant, sustainable ones, into the future (for example, more – widespread, access to the Internet, regardless of one’s income, etc)!
5. Climate Change/ Environment: How does it help future generations, to, simply, deny, the challenges, involved, and, need to address Climate Change realities, sooner, rather than later? Isn’t it our responsibility, to future generations, to leave a planet, with clean air and water? Yet, many politicians, refuse to consider, taking any action, although it is needed, and overdue!
Wake up, America, and demand, those your elect, are responsive to clear – cut, needs, priorities, etc, instead of their perceived, personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest! Although, we will always, witness some, who prefer to limit their exposure to facts, the rest of us, cannot permit that, to overwhelm our nation, into the future!