What is it?
BJJ Manifesto is a BJJ e-book course by Matt Arroyo and Rob Kahn.
Who are they?
Rob Kahn: obtained his black belt from Royce Gracie, is the head instructor of Gracie Tampa Matt Arroyo: was one of the fighters who fought for Team Matt Serra in the Ultimate Fighter (Season 6). Arroyo got his black belt from Rob Kahn in 6 years.
What is the course about?
Generally the course is focused on tactics and strategies you can use for BJJ or MMA, rather than techniques.
Below is a summary of what you can find in the e-book:
• • Strategy on how to cause or wait for opponent to make mistake -and how to capitalize on it
• • 3 ways to create the mistake – eg forcing the mistake by using pressure (eg shoulder pressure when on side control top position)
• • Interesting topic on how to set a pattern and then break it “broken rhythm”
• • Training structure
• • Discusses how to train, repetition of moves, assess your strengths and weakness
• • Position specific strategies
• • Shows strategies from guard, mount, half guard, side mount (control), back mount
• • Strategies for attack and defence are covered
Short embedded video clips are added to illustrate some of the key concepts that are taught. Note that there are a couple of bonuses included in the course, which are video instructionals called Goofy Guard, Guillotines Revealed and Advanced Back Attacks. You will also get a free month training at Gracie Tampa North.
My view I certainly learned a lot from it. This is definitely different from the usual BJJ instructionals that focuses on techniques. I found the book to be a real eye opener, and gets you to think on another level. I think BJJ Manifesto has improved my game. However I believe that this is not for newbies, and it would be more suited for grapplers who have at least 6 months experience, up to purple belt level.