When will the American people, get, sick – and – tired, of the same – old, same – old, way of being governed, and permitting, these public officials, put their own. personal/ political agenda, and self – interest, ahead of the common good? Wouldn’t we, benefit, if/ when, they, truly, served, and represented, their constituents, and nation, by consistently, prioritizing, quality policy, over politics, as – usual? Statistics and surveys, indicate, most Americans want better representation, and service, instead of elected officials, who, even during a crisis, seem unwilling, to do so! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 examples, of why, we need, and must demand, this behavior!
1. Whose priorities should be emphasized?: Should elected officials, work for us, or, only, themselves? How do they determine, the difference, between genuine, necessary priorities, and more trivial pursuits? When, even during, this horrific pandemic, so – little was done, to assist, citizens, in terms of their health, and well – being, as well as providing, a financial/ economic safety – net, it seems, politics must be replaced, by the best interests, of people! Between, the President’s behavior, questionable actions/ priorities, and a lack of any obvious, strategic plan, to address, the ramifications, we must demand better, sooner, rather than later. As the star of the movie, Network, famously, stated, I’m sick – and – tired, and not going to take it anymore! Isn’t there a danger, when the relevant, sustainable necessities of environmental protections, and the potential impacts of denying Climate Change, don’t we deserve better?
2. Public health: Shouldn’t public health, and safety, be prioritized, over any other political agenda? How dare, any politician, equate economic stresses, and strains, with loss of human life?
3. Who should the Attorney General, serve?: Precedents, and law, indicate, the Attorney General of the United States, is supposed to be, the people’s lawyer, instead of the President’s personal one! However, many have observed, the current one, Attorney General William Barr, seems to have, gone against this precedent, and behaved, on several occasions, more, like, he is serving Trump’s needs, than the rest of the people!
4. Changing narrative regarding Supreme Court Justice: Who can forget, how the Republican party, under the leadership of Mitch McConnell, etc, stated, it was wrong to even consider, a highly qualified candidate, for appointment, to the Supreme Court, even though, the recommendation, occurred, very early in 2016? With the tragic death, of the beloved, trend – setting, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, with only, a very, short – time, before the election, President Trump has recommended a woman, whose orientation is to the far – right, during one of the most contested elections, in recent memory. At the very least, isn’t this, the height – of – hypocrisy?
5. Specific guidelines/ restrictions, for Federal Court appointments: When, we presently, are witnessing, the President’s choice, to fill, a Supreme Court, lifetime appointment, with a woman, he appointed back, in 2017, to the Court of Appeals, and, at that time, she had no previous judicial experience, isn’t that a dangerous approach, and policy? Don’t we need, and deserve, better? We would all benefit, if/ when, a requirement of approval, would be, receiving a Qualified rating, by the Bar Association special committee, based on a set of clear – cut, requirements, etc?
Wake up, America, and ensure, the nation’s future is protected, by demanding, our politicians, and elected officials, serve and represent us, and prioritize, quality, relevant, sustainable, well – considered, policy, over politics! We must demand this, sooner, rather than later!