Perhaps, because, so much of our everyday lives, are exposed to so much hatred, etc, it is essential to pay keen attention, to realizing, when we permit the politics of hate, to win, our democracy, and the associated, principles, LOSES! Many believe, the present tone, of American politics, especially, in the last few years, seems to emphasize, adversarial relationships, polarization, etc, using empty promises, and rhetoric, emphasizing hatred of others, rather than trying to bring – us, together, for the greater good! Basically, it is time, to be concerned, and demand better, because, when we permit these politics of hate, to win, most democratic principles, and democracy, often, LOSES! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and, why it matters.
1. Listen; learn; limits/ limitations; lessons: Only, when more of us, are ready, willing, and able, to listen to others, whether they agree with them, or not, with an open – mind, and cooperation, and attempt to effectively learn, from every conversation, and experience, will, democracy, benefit! We must realize, this doesn’t mean, there are no limits, on our personal rights, and freedoms, and these limitations, must emphasize, the best path, forward! Only, when most of us, learn these lessons, usefully, will overall freedoms, be enhanced!
2. Options; opportunities; open – mind: Avoid the mentality, and/ or, philosophy, of my way, or the highway! We all benefit, when opportunities are sought, considered, and taken advantage of, based on the greater good, instead of anyone’s personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest! We need to proceed, with an open – mind, in order to consider, the possibilities, alternatives, etc.
3. Stronger; strengthen: Wouldn’t we be, better – off, if/ when, the focus and emphasis, was on making the nation, our democracy, and overall society, stronger, etc? How we proceed, consistently, to try to strengthen, the bonds, for the common good, rather than, divide, and weaken, differentiates, true winning, versus, both, immediate, and, in the longer – run!
4. Empathy; emphasis; endurance; enrich: It requires commitment, and the utmost degree of genuine empathy, for us, to consistently, place our emphasis, where it will serve the greater good, and urge everyone, to seek a quality, meeting – of – the – minds! This often takes patience, and personal endurance, to do, what’s needed, to enrich, democracy, freedom, liberty, and justice, for – all!
5. Service; solutions; sustainable: The principle of service, to others, must dominate, every public official’s priorities! Instead of relying on empty promises, and rhetoric, we benefit, when, quality, viable solutions, based on strategic and action planning, are used! Remember, we need, relevant, and sustainable consideration, to ensure, democracy is preserved, and protected!
Wake up, America, and ensure, we don’t permit the politics, of hate, to win! When/ if, it does, we all LOSE, and so does, democracy!